There’s a saying that goes by “Once a dancer, always a dancer”.
Maybe you started dance as a kid, maybe as a hobby, maybe you tried to get to a professional level with it but somehow life got in the way, or maybe you were a professional and for whatever reason you had to stop dancing. One thing is for sure, even if you stop dancing for whatever reason, the love for it never goes away.
Having stopped dancing for a couple years myself, I know what it’s like to watch a ballet and feel nostalgic, to feel the need to dance even if it’s on your own living room. It’s like a part of you is missing even if everything else in your life is in order. I believe dance is a way of expression, and once that channel is cut, surely we lack in something. I also understand even though sometimes you want to go back to taking classes, you might find excuses for it like “I don’t have time” or “I’m too tired after work” or you might just think you just won’t be good enough anymore. Too out of shape compared to everyone else and might not want to get the typical frustrating feelings of knowing you once could do something that now that you stopped you wouldn’t be able to.
Here is why we believe you should put all the excuses away and get back to it:
- It’s a time you’ll take out of your day and spend it only on yourself.
- It will be a stress reliever, just leave your everyday life outside the classroom and focus on enjoying the music while you dance.
- It doesn’t matter if your arabesque is not as high as it used to be. You don’t have to be the best in the class; don’t compare yourself to others. You only have to enjoy doing what you love to do.
- Don’t get frustrated with the small things. The body is a wonderful thing, muscle memory is greater than we think. The things you were once able to do, they’ll come back to you faster than you think. Just be patience and enjoy the ride. You’ll leave the classroom feeling accomplished that you danced, you’ll feel lighter.
- You can add so much more to your performance. Having stopped dancing and getting back on it, you’ll have a different maturity about it. You’ll be able to pour into your dance that much more feeling and experiences you didn’t have before. Use that to your advantage.
- If you’ve done ballet before and you already got the technique, just let go. Forget about being technical and perform with your heart. The technique will still be there to back you up but your movement will be that much more beautiful than if you’re just focused on getting it right.
- Less is more. Don’t get back at it in full force if you haven’t danced in a long period of time. Know your limits and care for your body. Even if it’s once a week it’ll be that much rewarding than not dancing at all. Listen to your body and if you’re going to increase your activity, do it gradually.
If you read this and felt identified… we hope you stop thinking you can’t do it, and get back to dance class. We promise you it’ll be the best decision you ever made. In any case, we are here to help you make a smooth return. Simply send us a message or talk to us on chat Monday to Fridays from 9-5 EST. You can always browse through our video collections, which contain follow along and step by step routines to help you get the strength and flexibility you always dreamed of!
CLICK HERE --> http://easyflexibility.com/collections/ballet <--
- The EasyFlexibility Team.
Share this post